What an exciting time it is when you have decided to buy a home somewhere beautiful, like here in the Prescott area of Arizona. Next, you’ll want to decide if you are going to rehab an existing home or build a custom dream home. So, it is a good idea to explore the benefits of a new build versus rehab.
What Is A Rehab?
A rehab used to refer only to investors fixing up an aged, damaged, or decrepit home to make it look good enough to sell at a higher price point, but now it is being used synonymously with “renovation”. With a renovation or a “rehab”, you make improvements to an existing house to bring it up to your standards and meet your family’s needs.
With a rehab, if you find an existing property that looks like it might work, you would then determine:
- Is the foundation stable and is the roof sound?
- Can you have the floorplan how you want it with a simple rehab or might you need to do a more intensive renovation to meet your needs?
- Is there hidden damage from fire or flooding in the home?
- Are there neighborhood restrictions on changes you can make to the residence? Or to the property?
- Are you able to handle any unexpected issues that can crop up?
- Can your lender work with you if the timing is delayed with any of those issues?
Finding a reputable and qualified contractor is key to having the project go as smoothly as possible, but every rehab is likely to run into some kind of unexpected discovery once the walls are down, so you want to be sure you can weather any delays and be financially prepared for changes to the plan that crop up.
The New Build Option
With a new build, you also want to know what you are getting into.
- Is your builder willing to work with you on the customizations you want?
- Can you choose the property? Or do you want to buy a new build in a development where you just pick the house?
- If you go custom, will the land you’ve chosen allow you to create the floorplan and home style you want? What about local regulations?
- Are you willing to work with your builder to get exactly the house you envision?
We became custom builders because we can help our clients avoid all of the hassles associated with rehabbing a property, but still get them that high level of customization and unique home features that rehabbers look for.
With our decades of award-winning experience, we work with our clients to create the home of their dreams in their budget. We help them create a home that is designed to make the most of the property, the local area, and one that fits their needs perfectly. We view this as the perfect solution because we can offer all of the benefits of customization, our decades of knowledge and experience, our quality systems, and the best building materials to provide the best of both worlds in a timely manner. Much more so than with a rehab. We know you can have almost everything you want when you plan well and have a great builder.