If you’re building a custom home, hundreds of design ideas are likely going through your head at any moment. One important thing for many custom-home builders is ensuring that their home stays current throughout the years. After all, the last thing you want is to have to update your home’s design style continuously. Keep reading if you’re looking for the best ways to future-proof your home.
What Does “Future-Proofing” Mean?
Future-proofing is a general term that means preparing or designing something so that it will continue being functional, trendy, and current into the future. It’s not only used in homebuilding but technology development, fashion design, and design for climate change.
If you’re building a custom home, future-proofing means using a design style that will remain relevant as time goes by. That may mean using timeless styles, incorporating smart technology, and designing with the Earth in mind.
How Do You Future-Proof Your Home?
Future-proofing your home may involve a variety of different steps. Some of the most popular ways to future-proof your custom home include:
- Build sustainably. As concern about the environment grows, more people are choosing to build green homes that use sustainable materials.
- Invest in Smart technology. A home that harnesses the power of smart technology is more functional. It also saves energy by managing your electricity use automatically. Smart technology can control several things in your home, including lighting, heating, doors, and surveillance systems.
- Flexibility is key. The rooms in your house should serve multiple purposes, an especially important detail if you plan to build a smaller custom home. By incorporating partitions and hidden features into your open spaces, you’ll allow for mixed-use spaces that can be used as an office, gym, or extra guest area.
- Create room to grow. Moving is a hassle, and many people want their custom home to be their forever home. If you’re planning to stay in your home for a while, ensure there is space to grow, so it’s adaptable over time. One thing that many people choose to do is include a bedroom with an en suite bathroom on the first floor.
- Consider renewable energy. Renewable energy is the energy of the future. Set your home up to work off of renewable energy sources so it won’t need a complete change in the future.
6 Trends In Future-Proofing A Custom Home
Homebuilders are innovating when it comes to building their custom homes. Some of the most popular trends in future-proofing a custom home include:
- Eco-friendly materials, energy sources, and technology
- Smaller, more efficient homes
- A smooth flow between indoor and outdoor spaces
- Neutral design colors
- Large windows that bring lots of natural light
- Personal design features that express the owners’ personal culture, heritage, travels, etc.
Review Your Custom Home Project
Future-proofing your custom home is an excellent strategy for building a house that always feels current. At RES Contracting, we have been helping people design custom homes in the Prescott area since 1987. We take pride in helping every client to design and build the perfect dream home. Call our office at 928-776-0301 to schedule a time to review your project with a member of our team today.