Have you been thinking about building a custom home? While not an easy task, creating a custom home to live in can be one of the most rewarding experiences you’ll have as a homeowner. If you’re considering building a custom home in Prescott, Arizona, here’s what you need to know about pre-planning for your custom home.
What do I Need to Know Before Building a Custom Home?
Building a custom home is a big undertaking, so you need to be prepared for the time, money, mishaps, and everything else you’ll need to deal with to get your dream home. Here are some more specific things you should know before building a custom home:
- Your limits. You’re not going to be an expert at everything, so make sure you know what you can and can’t handle during your build, and hire accordingly.
- Fixtures and furniture. You don’t need to know every single thing you’re putting in your house before you build. But it’s still a good idea to know which plumbing fixtures and big furniture pieces you’re going to be using so that you can design with those in mind.
- Plan for what’s important. Some things cost more to change after the fact, so think about what you want now and bite the bullet on investing in it. If you’ve dreamed of heated flooring, pre-wiring, soundproofing, or good insulation, do it the first time around so that you don’t need to pay for costly renovations later.
- It’s probably going to cost more than you expect. That’s just the reality when it comes to the costs of building a custom home. So, prepare yourself for sticker shock by expecting it.
How do I Start Planning to Build a House?
The planning process of building a home is almost more important than the actual construction. To start planning to build your house, the most important steps you can take are planning your budget, hiring a team (general contractor, designer, etc.), and preparing your floorplan.
Can I Draft My Own House Plans?
Drafting house plans is much more complicated than it may appear. If you aren’t a home designer, it’s best to have a professional do this step for you. Of course, that doesn’t mean that you need to be left out of the process entirely. A good designer will collaborate with you to create the perfect house plan for your custom home. If you can find a contractor that also offers design services — as we do at RES Contracting — this will make your custom build process go that much smoother.
Pre-Planning Your Custom Home
At RES Contracting, we’ll walk you through every step required for pre-planning for your custom home. These include:
- Plan your budget.
- Determine your style and design trend preferences.
- Create floorplans.
- Estimate a timeline.
- Make color selections.
- Discuss options, special features, changes, and more.
Set Up a Project Review Meeting
Building a custom home can be overwhelming at first. But, if you’ve got a great team and do your due diligence in planning, your custom home will be everything you ever dreamed of. If you’re looking to build your next home in Prescott, Arizona, RES Contracting is the company for you. We have years of experience helping people build amazing custom homes in the communities that surround Prescott. Call us today at 928-776-0301 to schedule a meeting and review your project with a member of our team.