The DIY movement has taken the homeowner world by storm, and now it’s influencing home building, too. If you’re building a custom home, you may be wondering whether to build it yourself or hire a residential home builder.
While some social media accounts and DIY experts tout building a home yourself as a cost-effective option, this couldn’t be farther from the truth. Even though the cost of building materials is stabilizing after months of unpredictability, frugal builders would be wise to hire a professional.
How Hard Is It To Build A House By Yourself?
Don’t convince yourself that building a house is easy – because it isn’t. Building a house on your own requires time, planning skills, vendor relationships, construction knowledge, and the ability to execute complex construction work. Just because you’re handy doesn’t mean you’re ready to build a house.
Still, that doesn’t mean it’s impossible. If you’re truly dedicated to building your own house, you can buy the building plans, purchase materials, construct the frame, and finish the home. You’ll also have to lay the foundation, connect plumbing lines, and complete any needed electrical work. As you can see, it’s overwhelming, which is why we do not recommend building a house by yourself.
Is It Cheaper To Buy A House Or Build One Yourself?
In general, it’s cheaper to buy a house than to build one yourself. In February 2022, the median home cost was $400,600. Meanwhile, the cost to build a house was around $300,000 in 2022. Keep in mind that this number only reflects the costs of construction and does not take into account the cost of purchasing and prepping land, acquiring the necessary permits, and installing any utility lines that are not already present. All of this can bring the cost of building a custom home to over $450,000.
Still, the cost of building versus buying will largely depend on the kind of house you want and its location. It’s also important to factor in other non-monetary costs. When you build a custom home, you get something tailored to your needs and design style. In the end, there’s nothing more expensive than mistakes or regrets, and you’ll never get the perfect home by buying it.
What Do I Need To Know Before Hiring A Builder
If you’ve chosen to hire a builder, you have to know what to look for when choosing who will do the job. Here are some things you should know before hiring a builder:
- Past Projects. You should always ask to see a potential builder’s past projects. Ask for pictures or see if you can tour something they’ve worked on.
- Credentials. All custom home builders in Arizona must be licensed contractors. Make sure the builder you’re hiring has the proper credentials to do the job.
- Timeline. There’s no guarantee that a builder will exactly follow the timeline they give you. But it’s still good to have a general understanding of how long it will take them to build your custom home.
- Cost Estimate. Make sure you know the estimated cost of your project before hiring a builder.
- Reviews and Recommendations. It’s always important to check your potential builder’s reviews online. You can also ask friends and family for home builder recommendations.
Meet With Our Home Building Experts
R.E.S. Contracting has been helping people build exceptional custom homes in Prescott, Arizona, since 1987. We encourage our clients to participate in every step of our home-building process, especially if they’re eager to do so.
If you’re looking to build your dream home in Prescott, Arizona, call us today at 928-776-0301 to schedule a meeting and review your project with a member of our team.