Building a custom home is a dream for most homeowners. When you have the chance to create the home of your dreams, you’re probably not even thinking about selling it. After all, you put so much time, effort, and money into building your custom home. Why would you ever want to sell?
Unfortunately, you can’t plan the future. Building resale value into your custom home will give you peace of mind should you ever have to sell. Here’s how to maximize your custom home’s resale value.
Do Custom Homes Hold Their Value?
Even though custom homes are built with a specific homeowner in mind, they’re still special because they are customized. That often means that the home itself is unique, even if it was built for someone else’s taste.
A custom home built with resale value in mind holds its value even better. Custom homes also tend to have a higher resale value because they are newer, use high-end finishes, and tend to be located in nice, growing neighborhoods. At RES Contracting, we help families build custom homes in several of the beautiful communities located in Prescott, Arizona.
How Can I Add Value to My Custom Home Construction?
Adding value to your custom home is easiest to do when you’re building it. Consider the following ways to add resale value to your custom home construction.
- Choose good flooring material. Everyone loves beautiful, sturdy, long-lasting floors. And buyers love not having to worry about putting in new flooring. When building your custom home, choose a flooring material that will hold up for a long time. We recommend natural hardwood or porcelain tile.
- Focus on the kitchen and bathrooms. Dedicate a large portion of your custom home budget to building updated kitchens and bathrooms. There are the areas of the home that buyers typically care most about. They also cost the most to redo, so having them already done perfectly will be a huge selling point.
- Use high-end finishes. Choose high-end finishes, upgrades, and add-ons where you can. It will give your home a luxurious and custom feel that buyers will appreciate.
- Aim for excellent curb appeal. First impressions matter. People want to feel welcomed and happy when they pull up to a home. In fact, a 2020 study found that homes with great curb appeal sell for 7% to 14% more. So, dedicating resources to creating a gorgeous exterior – including landscaping – will give you a bigger return on investment.
- Create a luxurious primary suite. Outside of the kitchen, bathrooms, and curb appeal, the primary bedroom is one of the biggest selling points of a home. Invest a decent amount of money in building a true retreat that buyers will love.
- Be future-forward. As home construction continues to develop, keeping up with the trends as your build your home will make it feel fresh and modern. Incorporate things like smart technology, energy-efficient appliances, and green building practices into your custom home for a better resale price.
Build Your Custom Home in Prescott
Building resale value into your custom home project guarantees you’ll get a great return on your investment when and if you decide to sell. At RES Contracting, we have been helping people design custom homes in the Prescott area since 1987. We take pride in helping every client design and build the perfect dream home. Call our Prescott office at 928-776-0301 to schedule a time to review your custom home project with a member of our team today.