You have so many decisions to make when designing your custom home. Before you make any of those decisions, though, the first thing you need to do is develop a floor plan. The layout of your house determines everything else you’re going to use — from the colors and fixtures to window placements and furniture choices.
How Do I Design a Custom House Plan?
Designing a plan for a custom house is no easy task. That’s why our team at RES Contracting works with customers to help them create the home of their dreams. To make your custom floor plan, we’ll follow these steps:
- Determine your budget.
- Consider your lifestyle, external surroundings, and personal taste to develop an idea of what you want in a floor plan.
- Decide on the floor plan you want.
- Sketch a rough concept of your ideal floor plan.
- Check your build site to ensure there are no obstacles to construction.
- Include things like doors, windows, hallway entrances, etc., and the space required for each structural feature.
This is a rough outline of the steps you need to take to design a custom house plan. In reality, designing floor plans is a difficult task best left to professionals.
Can You Design Your Own House Floor Plan?
If you have experience working in the construction industry, you may be able to design your own house floor plan. Even if you don’t have the experience, you might be able to mock up some rough drafts of what you’re looking for. Still, even the most skilled amateurs can miss out on certain things, especially if you’re only focusing on the design aspect.
Creating a house floor plan requires you to consider structural and legal. Most inexperienced homeowners will miss these things when creating a house floor plan. So, even if you have designed your own house floor plan, it’s best to work with a professional to polish everything off.
Types of Floor Plans
The custom housing technology industry is filled with several floor plan models. These are the most popular:
- 2D Floor Plans: 2D floor plans display the layout and structure of a home using a two-dimensional graphic. Lines are typically used to denote walls, openings, and doors.
- 3D Floor Plans: A 3D floor plan is a mock floor plan of a home that shows its entire structure and layout in a three-dimensional graphic. 3D floor plans display any walls, doors, windows, fixtures, and furniture and typically use an aerial view.
- CAD Floor Plans: Computer-aided design (CAD) programs allow beginners and professionals to create floor plans. Using a computer rather than paper to create floorplans means making changes is easy and fast.
- Animated Floor Plans: Animated floor plans use 3D floor plans and add another layer by allowing consumers to virtually tour a home from their computer.
Why is Floor Plan Important in Constructing a House?
A floor plan is the first thing you have to do when creating a custom house. It will serve as the base point for everything else you do throughout the construction process. Without a floor plan, your construction project will have no central basis to turn back to and work from.
Schedule a Design Review Meeting Today
If you’re looking to build your next home in Prescott, Arizona, RES Contracting is the company for you. We have years of experience helping people build exceptional custom homes in the communities that surround Prescott. Call us today at 928-776-0301 to schedule a meeting and review your project with a member of our team.