Can’t decide between building a semi-custom or custom home here in Prescott? While semi-custom homes do come with their benefits, we always encourage our customers to go with custom homes. Keep reading to learn why we think a custom home will make you and your family happier than a semi-custom home.
What Is A Semi-Custom Home?
A semi-custom home is pretty much just what it sounds like. It’s the in-between of a pre-built home and a custom home. With a semi-custom home, you usually choose between some predetermined floor plans and add your own touches. This includes any add-ons like a garage or deck as well as the finishes for cabinets and counters. In a semi-custom home, you can also select the colors for the outside of your home, as long as they’re within the availability of the builder.
Differences Between a Custom and A Semi-Custom Home
Wondering what the main differences are between a custom home and a semi-custom home? The following list breaks it down for you.
- Floor Plan: In a custom home, the floor plan is whatever you want it to be. With semi-custom homes, you have to work with one of the provided floor plans.
- Finishes and Colors: Similar to floor plans, with a custom home, the sky is the limit when it comes to different finishes and colors for the inside of your house. In a semi-custom home, you have to stick with the options provided to you by the builder.
- Timeline: Semi-customs homes generally take less time to build than a custom home.
- Cost: Semi-custom homes also tend to cost less than custom homes.
- Building Materials: The building materials used for your semi-custom home are limited to the builder’s inventory. Custom homes can be built with whatever material you like.
What Is A Spec Home?
A spec home is the opposite of a custom home. Spec homes are built with the average buyer in mind, and they’re completely move-in ready. While some have a bad reputation for having low-end design and low-quality finishes, not all spec homes are like this. You just have to find one that is built with attention to detail and high-end finishes. A spec home is a good idea if you don’t feel like making any design decisions, but want a house that is brand new and that you can move into quickly.
Should You Build A Custom Home or a Semi-Custom Home?
While semi-custom homes make it easier and faster to move into a home, they just don’t offer the same amount of character and personalization as custom homes. Most notably, you cannot do whatever you’d like in terms of a floor plan. Instead, you have to work within the available options given to you by the builder. You also have limited options when it comes to finishes and colors. For these reasons, we always say that a custom home is the better option. While it might be a bit more work, it leaves you with complete control of the process and gives you your true dream home.
Review Your New Prescott Home Build
If we’ve convinced you to bite the bullet and go all-in on a custom home, the next step is finding the right contractor. At RES Contracting, we have years of experience helping people in Prescott, Arizona design and build the luxury custom homes of their dreams. Call us today at 928-776-0301 to schedule a time to review your new home with a member of our team.